We were given two ears but only one mouth. This is because God knew that listening was twice as hard as talking.
Practical Tips to help you listen more often and more effectively
1. Stop Talking
2. Eye Contact
3. Focus on Listening
4. Listen to non verbal communication
5. Do not interrupt
6. Stay calm, even if they vent
7. Listen for the feeling behind the words
8. Empathise – try stand in their shoes & feel how they feel
9. Clarify that you have understood
10. Address Feelings (theirs and yours)
“Do not the most moving moments of our lives find us all without words?”
For further information
Practical Parenting now offer Well-being in the Workplace as well as Parenting services including: Wellbeing Talks and Wellness Webinars, One to one Parent Support, Parenting Talks and Parenting Courses. You can read parent feedback or company testimonials from people who have availed of these services.